A teenage girl has shared over social media the dangers of biting nails, as she developed a cuticle infection from constantly biting her nails which led to her finger nearly being amputated.
Lauren Nichols, from Texas, created a TikTok video exposing the scary truth about biting nails, as she nearly lost her nails after incessantly biting them.
The college student revealed it was a close call as she almost had to have her finger amputated and it all began with a “green spot” on her cuticle, which she initially assumed was just a bruise.
However, the 18-year-old still decided to go to the doctors just to be on the safe side. The doctor told her that it was a skin infection called paronychia which occurs around fingernails and/or toenails, that is caused by an injury or irritation.
She was prescribed antibiotics but by January 10 it was becoming a concern that her “antibiotic weren’t working”, as she noticed the area was still “swollen” and “the green part had expanded.”
In the clip she shared to social media, she explained: “On January 11, it got significantly worse,” she then shared some photos of the infection. “As you can see, it’s a lot more swollen and a lot more red.”
On January 13, it was clear to Lauren that the antibiotics definitely weren’t working as nothing had changed. After watching YouTube videos, she “decided to pop it” as she felt she didn’t know what else to do.
Realising this may not have been a wise move, Lauren returned to the doctor who informed her that they would need to perform surgery. She then shared an image of her finger wrapped up, post-operation.
At the end of the clip, she stressed: “I dead a** almost had to have my fingertip amputated because I bite my nails.
“I really do be vibing though.”
Since sharing the warning video, Lauren’s post has racked up over 2.3 million likes and nearly 22,000 comments.
She told BuzzFeed News that because of the severity of the infection, she had to have a procedure named therapeutic washout, which would remove the infection from her cuticle.
“[My doctor] told me that he has to amputate the tips of people’s fingers because the infection gets too bad and that I’m lucky I came when I did,” she said.
Lauren has heeded to the doctor’s warning and has since stopped biting her nails. To resist the habit, she has bought herself a fidget cube to act as a distraction.
She said she wanted to make the video on TikTok as she wanted to make people aware of the “severe consequences”, as she didn’t realise beforehand how dangerous it could be.
Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Aimee is a Media & Communications graduate from Birmingham City University with a passion for everything related to cats, milkshakes and Oreo-flavoured consumables. You will often find Aimee typing furiously equipped with a Greggs’ sausage roll and a gingerbread man.