Donald Trump is suing Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, Twitter’s Jack Dorsey, and Google’s Sundar Pichia following his infamous social media bans.
The former president announced at a press conference on Wednesday morning that he is the lead representative in a lawsuit being filed against the tech companies, according to Axios.
Speaking from his golf course clubhouse in New Jersey, he claimed the social media giants wrongfully censored him in the wake of the January Capitol Building riots earlier this year and he is now demanding the end of ‘shadow banning,’ and ‘blacklisting’.
Watch the clip below to find out more about Trump’s lawsuit…
He said: “’In addition, we are asking the court to impose punitive damages on these social media giants.
“We’re going to hold big tech very accountable.”
The legal action is being supported by the America First Policy Institute; a pro-Trump organisation made up of several former senior administration officials. They joined him on stage at the press conference as he commented that Big Tech had never faced a legal team as good-looking as his and that they would win because they were extremely attractive, ‘like a picture’.
Out of the three platforms, Twitter was the first to suspend Trump’s account for 12 hours, initially for two tweets that it believed could incite violence around the time of the inauguration of President Joe Biden.
One tweet read: “The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”
Twitter argued the messages could encourage his followers to violently protest in the hope of overturning President Biden’s election.
Facebook initially blocked Trump in January but then sent the decision to its Independent Oversight Board for review.
In May, the Board, which is sometimes known as its ‘Supreme Court’,’ reaffirmed that Trump would be banned from Facebook and Instagram for two years.
However, at the end of that period, they said he could return to the platform if he stopped violating the rules. The 75-year-old is currently still banned on both Facebook and Twitter.
YouTube indefinitely banned Trump in January.
According to CNET, Facebook and Google didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Twitter declined to comment.
Words by Emily Brewster
Watch our Video of the Day below…