Teenager Dies After Dropping Her Phone In Bathtub While On A Call With Her Friend

Maria Antonietta Cutillo
Credit: @mariantonietta.____/TikTok & Mariantonietta via Facebook

An Italian teenager has died after dropping her phone in the bath while on a call with a friend. 

Maria Antoinetta Cutillo, 16, from Avellino, was reportedly charging her phone while holding onto it in the bathtub.

It is thought that the device must have slipped from Cutillo’s hand, triggering a short circuit after falling into the water.

Emergency services rushed the teen to hospital but devastatingly, they were unable to resuscitate her.

Find out more about the tragic death of Bobby Moudy in the clip below…

Local media reports that her family were not present in the house at the time of the tragedy.

It’s believed emergency services were called out to Custillo’s home by her friend, who became worried when their call cut out.

The girl’s body has been taken to the morgue at the Moscati hospital for an autopsy.

Related Article: Shaquil Barrett’s Two-Year-Old Daughter Has Died

Related Article: Pensioner Killed By Flying Cow That Was Hit By Train And Flung 100ft While Urinating On Tracks

Local police are also investigating the case.

Custillo’s father is well-known in the regional capital of Irpinia and is believed to be the owner of a local butcher’s shop.

The girl’s friend who was on the call has now paid a heartbreaking tribute to the teen.

Maria Antoinetta Cutillo
Italian teenager Maria Antoinetta Cutillo tragically died after dropping her phone in the bath. Credit: Mariantonietta Cutillo via Facebook

On TikTok, the friend says (via Daily Express): “You flew to heaven my love, you left screaming my name during a video call. I will never ever forget that moment.

“The last call, the last laugh together, the last nonsense together was today my baby and while you were talking to me this happened.

“I have your voice echoing in my head as you screamed my name, I have the scene in front of my eyes, I have your big green eyes in front of me, I have your laugh in mind.

“You were a spectacular friend, now the school desk next to me will be empty and whoever gets in will never, ever be you.

“I miss you my heart, I have your image fixed in front of my eyes.”

Although electrocution by phone is rare, it still happens – as there have been other instances where people have lost their lives following their device short-circuiting.

Related Article: Christina Ashten Gourkani’s Cause Of Death Confirmed

Related Article: Woman Laughs After Killing Two People In Chilling Bodycam Footage

The Mirror reports that 27-year-old Wanchai Deengam, from Thailand, lost his life when he fell asleep with his phone charging in February.

According to the outlet, a smartwatch was plugged into the extension plug while two rice cookers and two fans were attached to the wall socket.

Tragically, Deengam was found deceased while still clutching his phone – with his left arm reportedly resting on the device.

Following the tragedy, Police Captain Jiratchaya Yordkum from the Rat Burana Metropolitan Police Station, said it was believed a ‘short circuit might have caused his electrocution’.

It was added that the 27-year-old had plugged his device into the socket without using the correct adaptor.

Watch our Video of the Day below… 

Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at [email protected]. All contact will be treated in confidence.