The former Top Gear presenter said the mother-of-two ‘doesn’t understand how the world works’ after she spoke of the incident on her new podcast, Archetypes.
He wrote for The Sun: “She says that the child was not in the room where the very small fire happened but that she should have been allowed some time off because we should worry less about how we look than how we feel.”
Find out more about Meghan Markle’s podcast below…
“A few years ago I was in Moscow when I received news in the middle of the night that my mum had died.
“And the next morning, I was on stage, trying my best to entertain the audience at a Top Gear Live event. It hurt. It really did. But I did it.
“Because that’s what we are expected to do. Not let people down.”
The 41-year-old recalled the terrifying incident when chatting to her friend, Serena Williams.
“Archie was what, four and a half months old. And the moment we landed, we had to drop him off at this housing unit that they had had us staying in.
“He was going to get ready to go down for his nap.”
She continued: “We immediately went to an official engagement in this township called Nyanga, and there was this moment where I’m standing on a tree stump and I’m giving this speech to women and girls, and we finish the engagement, we get in the car and they say, ‘There’s been a fire at the residence’.
“What? ‘There’s been a fire in the baby’s room’. What?”
Continuing her story, the Duchess of Sussex said she and her husband rushed back to their tour residence and their ‘amazing nanny Lauren’ was ‘in floods of tears’.
Markle continued: “She was supposed to put Archie down for his nap, and she just said, ‘You know what? Let me just go get a snack downstairs’.
“And Lauren’s from Zimbabwe, and we loved that she would always tie him on her, her back with a mud cloth, and her instinct was like, ‘Let me just bring him with me before I put him down’.
“In that amount of time that she went downstairs, the heater in the nursery caught on fire. There was no smoke detector.
“Someone happened to just smell smoke down the hallway went in, fire extinguished.”
Watch our Video of the Day below…