in

Mum Suffers Horrific Burns All Over Body After Using Hand Sanitizer Which Caught On Fire

A mum has suffered from horrific burns all over her body after she says a bottle of hand sanitizer exploded when she went to light a candle. 

Katie Wise, from Texas, said from her hospital bed that she had been putting some sanitizer on her hand when she attempted to light a candle at her home in Austin suburb of Round Rock.

Based on the GoFundMe description, a campaign has been started by Katie’s friend, as the woman accidentally burnt her hand and jumped back, which resulted in touching the bottle of disinfectant which then made contact with the fire and exploded like a “bomb”.

Katie is now in an intensive care unit after she’s suffered from burns all over her body.

Credit: GoFundMe

She told KHOU11: “Because of the hand sanitizer, it just lit my whole … everywhere I had hand sanitizer on my hand, it just lit my hand with fire.”

Shockingly, the woman suffered from second and third-degree burns to wide portions of her body, including her entire face, hands, and even her legs and feet.

Credit: GoFundMe

The single mum of three told CBS Austin: “This is a pain that I can’t even explain it. It’s literally your whole body, like your whole being, your nerves, muscles, it’s everything. Absolutely everything.”

Somehow, Katie managed to take off some of the burning clothes from her body, whilst her two youngest daughters ran outside to ask neighbours for help.

Credit: GoFundMe

Although she suffered from severe injuries, the mum found the strength to carry her 14-year-old daughter, who is disabled, from the house, alongside the family’s dogs.

Katie added: “t’s something that you never want your kids to see.”

The online fundraiser, which was launched by Kathryn Bonesteel, states that Katie lost the majority of her furniture due to smoke damage and she lost many possessions to the fire itself.

Credit: GoFundMe

Kathryn wrote: “She’s lost her home, her kids are traumatized and she needs major reconstructive surgery.”

Her friend has appealed to the public for donations so that Katie can pay for her medical bills, childcare for the girls and other living expenses.

When Katie is released from the hospital, she will need to find a new home for her family to live in.

Kathryn has blamed the accident on the hand sanitizer and has noted that her friend purchased an off-brand alcohol-based product from a supermarket that she had trusted.

Credit: GoFundMe

Her friend wrote: “COVID-19 has brought many unsafe products to our shelves.

“Many of which have not been properly tested and are not safe. Be careful of what you put on your body. Make sure what you are using is FDA approved.”

Katie is now trying to raise awareness about the tragedy that happened to her, so she can prevent others from being hurt too.

Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at [email protected]. All contact will be treated in confidence.