in

Total Wipeout Contestant Dies After Completing Assault Course On Reboot Series

The US reboot of Total Wipeout has been shut down after a contestant has died after competing in the show. 

After competing in the US reboot of Total Wipeout, a man has collapsed and died after complaining of chest pains.

Although medics were rushed out to the scene, they were unable to save the man’s life and he later passed away at a local hospital.

The contestant was on the set at Sable Ranch in Canyon Country, Santa Clarita, California, north of Los Angeles, which is where the US reboot version of the show is being filmed.

The man not actually being on the obstacle course itself when he fell ill.

On-set medics rushed out to the man’s aid to offer their assistance until the paramedics arrived. Yet he later passed away once arriving at the hospital.

TMZ reported the tragic news, stating: “Our law enforcement sources tell us they got a cardiac arrest call just before noon Wednesday, and medics on set had already started using a defibrillator on the contestant, who was experiencing chest pains after completing the course.”

The report also stated: “We’re told the contestant was taken to a hospital, where he later died.”

Before taking part in the show, it’s mandatory that contestants take part in medical examinations.

At all times, there are two paramedics on standby on the set of the show. In addition to this, there is a safety producer and paramedic coordinator.

A TBS spokesperson told The New York Post on Friday: “We are devastated to have learned of his passing, and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.”

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Endemol Shine North America said: “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family, and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

Credit: BBC

Total Wipeout originally aired in the US on ABC from 2008 to 2014. Earlier this year, TBS announced that the show was being rebooted.

The rebooted series is being presented by Hollywood star John Cena, comedian Nicole Byer and model and presenter Camille Kostek.

On Thursday and Friday, filming of the show was cancelled following the contestant’s death. Due to Thanksgiving celebrations, the cameras had already been due to stop.

The New York Posts reports that the show will continue to film the following week when the US national holiday has finished.

Featured Image Credit: BBC

Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at [email protected]. All contact will be treated in confidence.