A woman claims her dog was mistakenly euthanised after a vet rang the wrong owner to ask for consent.
Andrea Martinez rushed Ziggy, her dachshund puppy, to the vets on Sunday night after he had begun vomiting and struggling to breathe.
In the Facebook post, Martinez insists she was told by the vets that Ziggy would need surgery in order to fix the blockage in his stomach and intestines, to which she agreed.
Martinez, from Utah, then went home after the vet had promised her they would contact her after the surgery to give her an update on Ziggy’s condition.
Following this, Martinez received a call at 2:30 am from the vets to tell her that Ziggy had passed away, however, it soon became apparent an error had been made.
Martinez spoke to Local12 and said: “He kept beating around the bush about it, but he was saying it like I should’ve known.”
Martinez was then put on hold.
“Then he got back on there,” she continued. “And he apologised and said, ‘I’m so sorry that this happened, we got confused and ended up calling another dog’s mum.'”
In a shocking turn of events, it turned out that there had been two dogs with the name Ziggy at the vet’s, and Martinez claims that it was the other Ziggy’s owner that gave consent to the euthanasia.
Reportedly, the owners of the other Ziggy had no choice but to let what they thought was their Ziggy go, after the vets rang mid-surgery to inform them that the surgery was going to be ‘more expensive’ then they originally thought.
The vets then explained to Martinez that Ziggy still could have died regardless, as he had been very unwell and the more expensive surgery may not have been successful.
Despite this, Martinez says she ‘wishes we would’ve been able to say we tried everything’.
A heartbroken Martinez wrote on her Facebook post: “They let a stranger decide my dog’s fate. They robbed me the choice of saying ‘at least we tried’. I feel so sick and can’t stop crying”.
She went on to add: “How do you tell a 6-year-old her best friend died and we didn’t have a choice to try everything to stop him from dying.
“This whole thing seriously makes me so sick to my stomach.”
To apologise for their error, Martinez says the vet waived Ziggy’s bills, gave her an urn with his ashes and a special Christmas tree ornament with Ziggy’s paw print on.
Martinez announced in a later post that the issue wouldn’t be being taken any further: “It was an honest mistake, they owned it, and are taking steps to make things okay.
“Ziggy was really sick and from the sounds of it, I’m not sure he would’ve even made it, after all, said and done.
“I do wish we would’ve had to chance to find out though, but life happens and we have to learn to adjust and learn and grow from it.
“I will forever miss him but at least I know he’s not in pain anymore.”
Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Aimee is a Media & Communications graduate from Birmingham City University with a passion for everything related to cats, milkshakes and Oreo-flavoured consumables. You will often find Aimee typing furiously equipped with a Greggs’ sausage roll and a gingerbread man.