Wayne Rooney has apologised to his family over a string of leaked hotel photos that have been circulating online.
In an interview with Sky Sports, the former Manchester United player stated that the incident had been a ‘mistake’ that had been ‘dealt with’.
He said: “I made a mistake.
“I went to a private party with two of my friends and from me, I’d like to apologise to my family and the club for the images which were going round and I want to move forward on this.
“It’s dealt with. I’m looking forward to moving forward and preparing for another game on Sunday.”
Pictures of Rooney asleep in a hotel room, surrounded by a group of young girls, began circulating on social media over the weekend.
The females involved have since apologised and are believed to have signed over the copyrights to him for just £1.
A representative told the Mirror: “The three girls who took the photographs contacted Wayne’s lawyers and volunteered to hand over all pictures that were taken that night and the copyrights in them.
“They have also, at their own suggestion, made a written apology to him for the events that took place and the embarrassment caused.
“These were three decent young women who went for a night out. They did not expect Wayne to end up in their company and are remorseful about how things turned out with the pictures.
“They got carried away and did something they later regretted. They did not expect it to end up in the mainstream media after it was posted on social media and they decided to take steps to put things right.
“It would be wrong to say no money changed hands because when a contract is drawn up there must be a sum and in this case, it was a nominal £1.
“They have fulsomely apologised because they wanted to do what they saw as the right thing and draw a line under the matter.”
Check out our Video of the Day below…