Heartbroken Parents Issue Urgent Warning After 13-Year-Old Daughter Dies From Chroming

Heartbroken parents have issued an urgent warning after their teenage daughter tragically died after taking part in a chroming trend. 
Credit: A Current Affair via YouTube & Brooke Ryan via Facebook

Heartbroken parents have issued an urgent warning after their teenage daughter tragically died after taking part in a chroming trend. 

Esra Haynes, 13, was at a sleepover in northeast Melbourne, Australia, over the Easter weekend.

Her parents – Andrea and Paul Haynes – received a phone call to ‘urgently’ pick up their daughter after she entered a cardiac arrest in her sleep.

When they arrived at the house, paramedics were already on the scene trying to resuscitate her.

Find out more about the tragic incident below…

Haynes was placed on life support shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Although her parents were optimistic their daughter would recover, a scan revealed the teen had sustained irreparable brain damage.

The couple were forced to make the painful decision to turn off Haynes’ life support and were told to bring in friends and family to say their final goodbyes to the teen on her deathbed.

She sadly passed away three days later.

Haynes’ sister, Imogen, tells 7News that her sibling was ‘kind’ and ‘generous’, adding that she ‘helped everyone before herself’.

Related Article: Madeleine McCann Police Launch New Search Of Remote Area In Latest Twist To Case

Related Article: Missing Girl Found After Nearly Six Years

Haynes’ cause of death has been confirmed to be from chroming – a trend that involves inhaling toxic chemicals.

This can include paint, solvent, aerosol cans, glue, cleaning products, or petrol.

Chroming has an effect on the central nervous system and slows down brain activity, which leads to a short-term ‘high’.

However, it is extremely dangerous and has side effects such as slurred speech, dizziness, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting and disorientation

In some cases, it can have more severe implications such as leading to a heart attack or suffocation – along with possibly inflicting permanent damage to the brain, liver and kidneys.

Esra Hansey
Esra Haynes, 13, sadly passed away after taking part in the chroming trend. Credit: 7 News via YouTube

Haynes’ family now want to raise more awareness of the damage chroming can cause in order to prevent another death from happening. – with Paul telling the Herald Sun that it is their ‘crusade’.

He explains: “No matter how much you lead a horse to water, anyone can drag them away. It’s not something she would have done on her own.”

Imogen also tells the outlet: “We definitely have a mission to raise awareness for kids and anyone that does it.

“We don’t want that to happen to anyone else. We don’t want another family to go through this, it’s absolutely horrible.”

Her brother, Seth, adds: “I just want to put awareness out there that it can happen very quickly, and we don’t want to lose any more amazing people.”

Related Article: Couple With Three Kids Discover They’re Related After 17 Years Of Marriage

Related Article: Teacher Is Being Investigated For Showing A Disney Movie To Her Class

The American Addiction Centers explains that chroming is more popular among younger people without access to other drugs.

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that in the US, around half a million people reported using inhalants – with the majority of them between the ages of 12 and 17.

UK-based organisation Frank claims that there are more than 50 deaths a year involving glues, gases, solvents and aerosols.

The UK government is reportedly planning on introducing a new act that would ban nitrous oxide.

Under the new laws, people found with nitrous oxide gas in public could be prosecuted.

Watch our Video of the Day below…

Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at [email protected]. All contact will be treated in confidence.