Mum, 40, Loses All Of Her Limbs ‘After Eating Undercooked Tiliapia’

A 40-year-old mum from California has lost all of her limbs after 'eating undercooked tilapia'. 
Credit: GoFundMe

A 40-year-old mum from California has lost all of her limbs after ‘eating undercooked tilapia’. 

Laura Barajas, purchased the fish from a local market in San Jose last month which she then cooked and ate on her own at home.

The meal was undercooked and it sadly led to her battling a life-changing infection.

Related Article: World’s Most Dangerous Disease Known As ‘Laughing Death’ Has A Fatality Rate Of Almost 100%

Related Article: Woman Warned Her Supermarket Self-Checkout ‘Trick’ Is Breaking The Law

In a GoFundMe campaign shared by her friend Anna Messina, it is revealed that Barajas has spent more than a month in the hospital fighting an infection of Vibrio vulnificus bacteria – which is known as a ‘flesh eating’ bacteria, as per the CDC.

It is a bacteria that thrives in warmer waters off the Gulf of Mexico, according to the health agency.

Vibrio bacteria is known to cause around 80,000 illnesses in the United States each year, with a man from Texas dying earlier this year after oysters.

According to the CDC, symptoms include watery diarrhoea, stomach cramping, nausea, vomiting, and fever – with an infected wound may display signs of redness, pain, swelling, warmth, discolouration

Shortly after eating the meal, Barajas’ feet and fingers reportedly started turning black and she found herself staying in hospital for over a month.

“They put her into a medically induced coma,” her friend explained to News 19 (via Daily Mail).

“Her fingers were black, her feet were black her bottom lip was black. She had complete sepsis and her kidneys were failing.”

Unfortunately, as Barajas’ condition turned life-threatening, she had to have all her limbs removed.

Fresh fish
The 40-year-old mum from California has lost all of her limbs after ‘eating undercooked tilapia’. Credit: Alamy

In the description for the GoFundMe page, Messina writes: “We kindly request that you find it in your hearts to support this beautiful family during this incredibly challenging time.

“What has happened to them could happen to any of us, and together, we can make a meaningful difference.”

At the time of writing, the GoFundMe page has raised $55,000.

“This family is in desperate need of our help. While Jose has health benefits through his work, it remains uncertain whether they will cover Laura, his partner of eight years,” Messina adds.

“Jose’s paid time off (PTO) has been exhausted, and the Family Disability program provides only 60% of his normal income.

“The mounting hospital bills are overwhelming, and Laura’s physical condition will necessitate significant changes to their lives as they adapt to her new circumstance.”

Related Article: Teenager Dies After Eating Tortilla Chip So Hot That He Passed Out

Related Article: 80-Year-Old Man Who ‘Hasn’t Slept For 61 Years’ Claims Doctors Don’t Know Why

The CDC warns that the most common cause of Vibrio infections is caused by eating undercooked/raw oysters and shellfish.

“Don’t eat raw or undercooked oysters or other shellfish. Cook them before eating,” the CDC recommends. “Always wash your hands with soap and water after handing raw shellfish.”

The CDC also recommends that you should stay out of salt water if you have an open wound to avoid any risk of catching a Vibrio infection.

The Best Of It’s Gone Viral Delivered Straight To Your Inbox

* indicates required

Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at [email protected]. All contact will be treated in confidence.

Written by Rosario Monachino

Rosario is a content editor at IGV who specialises in film, TV and entertainment news. He has a degree in English and Film from the University of Salford and a masters in Journalism from Liverpool John Moores University.