King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.
Earlier this year, King Charles was taken to hospital to be treated for an enlarged prostate.
It was reported to be a benign condition and a successful procedure.
At the time he was discharged, Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “The King was this afternoon discharged from hospital following planned medical treatment and has rescheduled forthcoming public engagements to allow for a period of private recuperation.
“His Majesty would like to thank the medical team and all those involved in supporting his hospital visit, and is grateful for all the kind messages he has received in recent days.”
However, it has now been confirmed that the 75-year-old has received a diagnosis of cancer.
Following his short, planned hospital stay, the King’s wife, Queen Camilla, confirmed he was recovering well.
It is now believed that the King publicised his procedure as an impetus for other men to get themselves checked.
The 75-year-old has been on the throne for 16 months following the death of his mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, at the age of 96.
The King was seen at a church service in Sandringham on Sunday, where he waved to crowds.
Following the palace announcement, words of support for the monarch have come in thick and fast.
“I have no doubt he’ll be back to full strength in no time and I know the whole country will be wishing him well.”
Wishing His Majesty a full and speedy recovery.
I have no doubt he’ll be back to full strength in no time and I know the whole country will be wishing him well. https://t.co/W4qe806gmv
— Rishi Sunak (@RishiSunak) February 5, 2024
A palace spokesperson says (via The Guardian): “His Majesty has been treated for benign prostate enlargement.
“It was during this intervention that the separate issue of concern was noted and subsequently diagnosed as a form of cancer.
“This second condition will now receive appropriate treatment.”
The monarch has been advised by doctors to pause any public-facing duties.
However, it is reported that he will continue to work behind the scenes on State business and official paperwork as usual, as per the BBC.
A statement from Buckingham Palace says: “The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure.
“He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.
“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
The diagnosis comes following treatment for an enlarged prostate, although the palace says he does not have prostate cancer.
The palace has not yet confirmed what type of cancer the King has.