Heartbroken Dad Warns Chroming Can Kill ‘In An Instant’ After 14-Year-Old Daughter Dies From Similar Issue

A heartbroken dad has issued a warning that chroming can kill 'in an instant' after his 14-year-old daughter tragically died.
Credit: Family Photo & Just Giving

A heartbroken dad has issued a warning that chroming can kill ‘in an instant’ after his 14-year-old daughter tragically died from a similar issue. 

The parents of Esra Haynes spoke out earlier this year and warned against the dangerous trend after their 13-year-old sadly passed away.

And now the parents of Giorgia Green, who was 14 and from Derby, UK, are warning other families about the dangers of the craze – known as chroming – which is taking over social media.

Esra Haynes
Esra Haynes, 13, died from chroming. Credit: 7 News via YouTube

Green, who was autistic and had sensory needs, had been shopping with her mum Clare, 54, when she stocked up her favourite deodorant.

The teenager sprayed the fragrance – which ‘gave her a sense of comfort’ – around her room when she arrived home and devastatingly, this ended in tragedy.

Green was reportedly found dead in her bed, wrapped in a blanket that she had covered with the scent.

Her heartbroken parents are now speaking out against chroming – which is a trend that involves inhaling toxic chemicals.

This can include paint, solvent, aerosol cans, glue, cleaning products, or petrol.

Related Article: Heartbroken Mother Issues Urgent Warning After Daughter, 7, Killed By Her Own Birthday Balloons

Related Article: Student Dies After Drinking ‘Dangerous’ Lemonade From Popular Fast Food Chain

Chroming is extremely dangerous and those who take part in the trend can experience slurred speech, dizziness, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting and disorientation.

It can affect the central nervous system and slow down brain activity, resulting in a short-term ‘high’.

In severe cases, chroming can lead to a heart attack or suffocation and there can be long-term or even permanent damage to the brain, liver and kidneys.

After Green was found, she was rushed to the Royal Derby Hospital where her devastated dad said goodbye. Clare was too distraught.

Giorgia Green
Giorgia Green’s parents are warning about the dangers of chroming. Credit: Family Photo

An inquest into Green’s death ruled that the teen had died from misadventure after inhaling aerosol at home.

Her medical cause of death was ‘unascertained but consistent with inhalation of aerosol’, as per the BBC.

Aerosol deodorants must be printed with the warning ‘keep out of reach of children’ by law.

However, Green’s parents have argued that the writing is small.

The late teen’s dad, Paul, 55, tells The Sun: “Giorgia might not have died under the same circumstances as Esra in Australia, but we found it very upsetting that someone had died from the same product.”

Her father goes on to say that he worries this will become a ‘trend’, adding that it can only take ‘a tiny bit’ to go over your tolerance level.

Related Article: Mum, 40, Loses All Of Her Limbs ‘After Eating Undercooked Tiliapia’

Related Article: Teenager Dies After Eating Tortilla Chip So Hot That He Passed Out

“We knew Giorgia liked to spray [her deodorant] around if she felt a bit anxious because it gave her a sense of comfort. But we had no idea just how lethal it could be,” Paul adds.

The British Aerosol Manufacturers Association (BAMA) said deodorants have ‘very clear warnings’ in response, according to the BBC.

In a statement, they say: “The British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association (BAMA) takes very seriously any incident involving aerosol products, and we were deeply saddened to learn of the death of someone so young.

“As an industry association we work with manufacturers to ensure that aerosols are made to the highest safety standards and are labelled with very clear warnings and usage instructions and recommend that anyone using an aerosol does so in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

“We also recommend applying a number of additional warnings and usage instructions, beyond those required by regulation, and continue to review these to encourage the safe use of aerosols.”

Do you have a story for us? If so, email us at [email protected]. All contact will be treated in confidence.

Written by Aimee Walker

Aimee is a senior content editor at IGV who specialises in finding the best original stories, trending topics and entertainment news. She graduated from Birmingham City University with a degree in Media and Communications.